A tale that starts 360 B.C.E. and moves to the 17th century and beyond. A patchwork quilt story that starts with beauty and weaves its definition with emotional feeling, taste, the galvanic cell, electrophysiology, the telephone, re-tribalization and the Omega Point.
Lambert’s, Hume’s and Sulzer’s ideas about taste, pleasure and appreciation of beauty have contributed to the origins of psychophysiological thought, and to the origins of electrophysiology. Methods developed by Galvani and Volta establish basis for the fields of electrophysiology and electrical telecommunications. Galvani’s twitching frog led to the understanding that electricity mediates the flow of information inside the body. Volta’s battery created a stable power source for the seminal work of Oersted and Faraday.
Human nervous system extension was realized with the development of the telephone in 1876. Electricity moving inside the body could now directly mediate the flow of electricity outside the body, at an equivalent bit rate. At this transformative, technology-driven juncture, the body’s real-time nervous system components for speech and hearing were capable of being physically extended to great distances.
Real-time, human nervous system extension technologies became tightly synchronized with power generation and transmission abilities. Extremely rapid human population growth and energy consumption was coincident.
- February 2013: Media Arts and Technology Department, UCSB, CA
- April 2013: Lucidity Festival, Santa Barbara, CA
- May 2014: Architecture Department, Dalhousie, Nova Scotia, Canada
- May 2014: Google Inc., TechTalk, Mountain View, CA
- November 2014: California Biofeedback Society, 40th Anniversary Conference, Oakland, CA
- October 2015: Shanghai Crystal Globe Cultural Expo, Lingang, China
- October 2015: TEDx “Lift-Off”, Asia World Expo, Hong Kong